There are a range of different settings and roles available. Take a look at the spectrum of care settings and roles available in social care.More
Direct Payment Support Service
Closing Date: 06/12/19
Job Purpose: I am a 42 year old lady living in my new-build, 2 bedroomed bungalow in Poringland. I have mobility difficulties, learning disabilities and mild autism, and I experience seizures on a regular basis. Your role will involve all aspects of domestic support, seizure management, administering medication, supporting me with my personal care and assisting me to get out and about in order to enable me to live independently.
Details: I like my routine, so it’s very important to adhere to this where possible. In the morning, you will support me to get out of bed, have my breakfast (I can feed myself, but need all meals prepared for me) and administer my medication. I will then require support to go back to bed and get up again at around 12 noon, at which point you will support me to attend to my personal care: no lifting is required, I mainly need prompting to undertake tasks and you may need to help me with some aspects of washing and toileting. You will then support me with activities, which may include driving me in my motability car to go out for a meal, visit my stepdad at work or to the hairdressers. I would like you to suggest activities that may be of interest to me. Sometimes if I don’t feel like going out, I might just like to watch television. When on a night shift, you will prepare my tea, administer my medication and support me with my bedtime routine. You will have your own bedroom at night and may typically expect to be disturbed once or twice a night. I need constant supervision as I experience regular seizures and am also at risk of falls due to my mobility difficulties, so all support workers need to be vigilant to my safety at all times. All support workers will need to support me to run my home including cleaning, laundry, shopping and other household tasks as may reasonably be required. I become easily upset, so it is essential that you are careful and sensitive in your conversation. I also find it difficult to express myself due to my limited verbal communication, so you will need to be clear and patient in your approach.
NB – Please note that the employer in this instance is my stepfather.
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
• Experience in a similar role, particularly involving seizure support
• Full clean UK driving licence to drive my automatic motability car
• Professional and adaptable approach to work
• Kind hearted and calm
• Good standard of spoken English
• Good sense of humour
Summary terms and conditions
• The rate of pay for this position is £8.46 per hour from 8am-10pm and £8.21 per hour from 10pm-8am.
• You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role.
• Hours and times of work: to work on a flexible rota to be mutually arranged between all support workers, covering shifts from 9am-6pm and 6pm-9am (including a sleeping night).
• The annual holiday entitlement for this position will be equivalent to the work I would normally expect to be done during 5.6 consecutive weeks.
The post is subject to the following:
• A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
• Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
• Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.