Listed below are details of the purpose and general tasks of the job to provide some insight of what is involved. It is advisable to refer to this when submitting your application for the post.
To support a woman with mental health support needs to engage in meaningful activities.
Location: Downham Market, PE38.
We are looking for an encouraging Support Worker/Personal Assistant to support our mother’s rehabilitation and enablement. Her immediate care and support needs are being met by care agency providers and family, however, support is needed during the afternoons with a specific focus on boosting engagement, wellbeing and our mother’s overall enjoyment of life.
Our mother is finding motivation a challenge and it has been identified that a more persuasive and encouraging approach is needed to improve her overall wellbeing, as her initial response to carrying out a task or an activity is to disengage. It is important that you are observant and attuned to our mother’s needs on good days and bad days, so that you can provide the appropriate level of positive encouragement. On some days our mother will go from the bed to the sofa, where she will lay for the rest of the day, so this could be as simple as encouraging her to sit up and engage in conversation. On more adventurous days, this could be getting our mother out in the garden or even going out for a coffee.
Duties to include:
· Support with identifying activities and providing support, preparation and encouragement in those activities.
· Providing companionship and supporting overall social interactions to boost emotional wellbeing.
· Providing support and encouragement to engage in meaningful activities, such as going for a coffee, spending some time in the garden, going for a drive or taking a trip to a garden centre.
· Providing support and encouragement to complete routine, daily living activities if required.
· Any other reasonable duties as required.
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
· Driving license holder with own vehicle and appropriate business insurance cover.
· Able to work harmoniously with the family and care coordinators to provide the right level of care.
· Able to provide positive encouragement with a gentle persuasion.
· Previous experience working in a similar support/coaching role.
· Basic understanding of mental health, especially the symptoms of depression and low mood, and the effect these can have on motivation/engagement.
Summary terms and conditions
· The rate of pay for this position is £10.00 per hour.
· You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role
· Hours and times of work: 15 hours per week Monday – Friday working during the afternoons. Additional 20 hours per annum to be used flexibly with prior notice. Exact hours and times to be discussed further at interview.
The post is subject to the following
· A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
· Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
· Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.
‘To apply please click ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Call Now’ selecting option 2.