There are a range of different settings and roles available. Take a look at the spectrum of care settings and roles available in social care.More
Direct Payment Support Service
Closing Date: 21/08/20
To act as a companion to an 18-year-old girl living with Down’s Syndrome and ASD. Building confidence and independence and allowing respite opportunities for the parents.
Location: Near Diss
‘E’ is a happy, bright 18-year-old who happens to have Downs Syndrome, ASD and associated sensory processing difficulties. She loves music, clothes, makeup and dancing. Her hobbies include gymnastics, dancing, drawing, TikTok and eating out.
‘E’ is seeking a companion(s) so that she has others, besides her parents that she can trust. Ideally, you would will able to take ‘E’ out one Sunday a month and her youth group once a month. Also, in the holidays and at weekends if ‘E’ wants to go to a pop concert or a disco or go shopping or meet up with a friend, you could take her. Eventually, when a bond has been built you will stay home with ‘E’ allowing her parents to have an evening out.
While out with ‘E’ you will be required to support her with managing her money and belongings. Encourage her to maintain personal hygiene, road safety, independence (i.e. verbal reminders for washing hands, period hygiene and even ensuring regular drinks are consumed) and remind ‘E’ of appropriate behaviour when necessary. Equally, support ‘E’ to have fun!!!
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
• Outgoing, assertive and responsible
• Kind and patient individual
• Someone who enjoys pop music and is tech savvy
• Car owner/driver with relevant business insurance
• flexible in hours worked
• Experience of people with ASD and/or learning disabilities, maybe a student studying in this field
• A youthful outlook
Summary terms and conditions
• The rate of pay for this position is £10 per hour
• You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role
• Hours and times of work: flexible, to be discussed further at interview. Hours likely to increase once rapport built. Job share considered.
The post is subject to the following
• A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
• Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
• Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.