Listed below are details of the purpose and general tasks of the job to provide some insight of what is involved. It is advisable to refer to this when submitting your application for the post.
To support a middle-aged man with personal care, domestic tasks and accessing social and recreational activities.
Location: Walpole St Andrew, PE14
My son is looking for a Personal Assistant to support with all daily living tasks to meet his complex care and support needs, which include a visual impairment, asthma, spinal stenosis and Type 1 diabetes.
‘D’ has always been shy and led a quiet life, but he is looking for a Personal Assistant to support him to be more active socially and would love to engage in activities that he used to enjoy prior to his health complications.
‘D’ can take a little while to gain trust in people, so it is important that you are keen to invest in building a bond with him. Once you have taken this time to get to know him you will learn that he loves banter, is very kind-hearted and fun to be around.
Duties to include:
· Personal care including support with dressing/undressing, support with washing as requested, support with managing toileting needs as requested, and applying creams for eczema. My son can manage certain personal care tasks independently and your role will be to support as requested while overseeing that personal care routines are being carried out safely.
· Domestic tasks to maintain a clean, tidy and safe home environment including doing laundry, ironing, cleaning.
· Preparing meals of my son’s choice, prepared according to changing dietary needs and to manage his diabetes. Most of his nutrition is now provided via jejunal feeding but he is able to eat certain foods if he chooses.
· Social support to enable ‘D’ to have safe access to the wider community to access social opportunities, recreational activities, go food shopping, attend appointments and visit his daughter.
· ‘D’ cannot walk far due to his spinal condition and is a wheelchair user, so you will be required to push his wheelchair for him.
· Support with completing transfers. ‘D’ can typically do this independently but on some days he may need additional support.
· Checking insulin levels as required.
· Administering medication as prescribed.
· Monitoring ‘D’ for up to 8 hours a day while he is on his jejunal feed, and ensuring feeding equipment is washed out and kept sterile every 2 hours.
· Any other reasonable duties as requested.
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
· Aware of care needs associated with diabetes.
· Must be able to respond calmly and quickly in the event of a medical emergency.
· Must be willing to gain a real understanding of client’s complex health issues.
· Must be comfortable being around dogs. While ‘D’ does not have his own pets, dogs do come into the property most days.
· Must carry out personal care with a respect for individual’s dignity at all times.
· Driving license holder with own vehicle and appropriate business insurance cover.
· ‘D’ takes pride in his home and in his appearance so it is important that you support him by maintaining high personal and domestic care standards.
· ‘D’ does like to smoke a cigarette in his kitchen so you must be comfortable with this taking place, although you will not be expected to be in the kitchen at the same time.
· Must be honest, reliable, and flexible.
· You will be expected to maintain a neat and tidy appearance and to dress appropriately.
· Must be willing to attend specialist training and any refresher courses that social services deem necessary for the role.
· Previous experience in a similar role highly desirable.
· Experience with jejunal feeding highly desirable, although training will be provided.
· Quiet and calm demeanour.
· First aid trained.
Summary terms and conditions
· The rate of pay for this position is £10.00 per hour.
· You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role.
· Hours and times of work: 24 hours per week, working 3 days a week in addition to providing ad-hoc holiday and sickness cover. Shifts will consist of a 7-hour visit in the day and a 1 hour visit in the evening. Exact times to be discussed further at interview.
The post is subject to the following
· A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
· Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
· Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.
To apply please click ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Call Now’ selecting option 2.