Listed below are details of the purpose and general tasks of the job to provide some insight of what is involved. It is advisable to refer to this when submitting your application for the post.
Location: Great Yarmouth, NR31
To support a man with a mild learning disability, providing respite for his family and enabling him to continue living independently.
Our son is a very sociable and outgoing 34-year-old man with Down’s Syndrome. He requires support with all daily living tasks but likes to remain as independent as possible, and enjoys being out and about in the community, meeting new people where possible.
Duties to include:
· Support with accessing local facilities in the area, including going swimming, bowling, and to the cinema.
· Support with meeting new people and developing friendships.
· Support with food preparation. Our son needs support to develop his confidence and skills when making snacks, drinks and main meals.
· Support with planning meals for the day/week ahead, preparing shopping lists and going to the supermarket.
· Support with choosing clothes that are suitable for the day ahead and are weather appropriate. Our son also requires support with doing up buttons and zips.
· Providing significant prompts, reminders and encouragement to complete day to day tasks.
· Domestic tasks to keep our son’s home clean, tidy and clutter free.
· Support with maintaining personal hygiene and personal care routines. Our son is able to physically complete his basic personal care, however, he does not support around using the correct amount of toiletries as well support with more intricate parts of personal care such as shaving and trimming nails.
· Prompting to take medication as prescribed.
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
· Previous experience in a similar care role essential.
· Previous experience supporting people with a learning disability desirable.
Summary terms and conditions
· The rate of pay for this position is £9.37 per hour for daytime support and £8.72 for overnight respite.
· You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role.
· Hours and times of work: 18 hours per week to be used flexibly. Support required on Sundays, Mondays, Fridays and/or Saturdays. Additional hours available to provide up to 4 weeks of respite per annum, with hours to be used flexibly throughout the year. Hours to be discussed further at interview.
The post is subject to the following
· A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
· Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
· Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.
‘To apply please click ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Call Now’ selecting option 2.