Listed below are details of the purpose and general tasks of the job to provide some insight of what is involved. It is advisable to refer to this when submitting your application for the post.
To provide parenting support during the evening and on family days out.
Location: Thetford, IP24.
I am a mother of two looking for a Personal Assistant to provide some respite in the evenings so that I can tend to other tasks and ensure that my son is being cared for in the home during these times. During this time, ‘D’ typically will have his tea and be winding down ready for bed. There will also be ad-hoc hours available for me to have parenting support during family days out or on short breaks.
My son is a happy and lively 6-year old boy with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder and speech/language difficulties. D’ has limited speech and communicates non-verbally, such as eye contact or showing you what he wants/needs, e.g. passing his cup if he is thirsty. My son loves bubbles, spinners and physical activities such as climbing and running. He likes to sing nursery rhymes and loves musical, sensory and messy play. ‘D’ also enjoys walks in nature, listening to the trees on a windy day and is fascinated by water.
Duties to include:
· Supporting my son at mealtimes and encouraging him to adopt positive routines/manners around mealtimes, e.g. using cutlery independently.
· Care for ‘D’ at home on occasions when I have to tend to other duties or pop out.
· Take my son on trips such as going for a walk, going to the park and other suitable recreational activities.
· Support with personal care. ‘D’ is currently in nappies and does not communicate when he needs to be changed, so this will include changing nappies/clothes as appropriate. In future, this will entail encouraging him to manage his toileting needs independently and assisting as required.
· Providing ad-hoc parenting support on family days out or during school holidays.
· Any other reasonable duties as required.
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
· Experience working with children with an ASD diagnosis.
· Driving license holder with own vehicle and appropriate business insurance cover.
Summary terms and conditions
· The rate of pay for this position is £9.37 per hour.
· You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role
· Hours and times of work: 1 hour weekly/2 hours fortnightly on a weekday during term times, between 4:30pm-6:30pm. Additional 66 hours per annum to be used flexibly for recreational trips/holidays booked with prior notice.
The post is subject to the following
· A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
· Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
· Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.
‘To apply please click ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Call Now’ selecting option 2.