There are a range of different settings and roles available. Take a look at the spectrum of care settings and roles available in social care.More
Direct Payment Support Service
Closing Date: 22/11/19
Job Purpose: To assist with personal care, light housework, attending appointments and supported activities in and outside of the home.
Location: Norwich, NR2
Details: I am a 57 yr old Bangladeshi / Asian Muslim gentleman and I had a stroke in 2012. I speak good English, but I have mild communication difficulties due to my stroke. I can use my left hand now, but I need help with everything due to my mobility being compromised. Your role will involve:
• Helping me to get up in the morning
• Attending to my personal care including toileting, bathing, shaving, brushing my teeth and dressing.
• Administering eye drops at various times during the day.
• Warming up food and serving me food and drink (sometimes assisting with eating and drinking when required as I drop food from my mouth and my left hand)
• Helping me to transfer to and from my wheelchair using specialist equipment (Ross Return)
• Driving me to meetings, appointments and activities, e.g. to visit friends
• Possibly accompanying me swimming – you will need to come into the pool with me and help with showering and dressing afterwards (if I can find a second PA to assist as I need 2 people in the pool!)
• Take notes for me at meetings/appointments etc.
• Help with walking practice which involves supporting me while I walk
• Propelling my manual wheelchair when out and about
• Closely supervising me when I take my powered wheelchair outside (as I am visually impaired – eye-patch on left eye)
• Fetching and carrying for me when we go shopping
• Light housework – cleaning bathroom, bedroom, vacuuming, washing up etc.
• Running errands (posting things for me, shopping)
• My laundry and ironing
• Home admin such as typing dictated emails, helping me to use the phone and opening post as required
• Taking me to the Vauxhall Centre so I can access the Motor-med machine and taking me out in my wheelchair around the park etc.
• Taking me to the mosque on Fridays
• Providing companionship such as playing board games
• Making drinks as and when required through the day
• Any other tasks as they arise, like helping me water the plants, etc.
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
• Full driving license
• Caring, patient and soft hearte.
• Reliable, honest and trustworthy
• Punctual – must arrive on time due to personal care needs
• Previous experience of care needs
• Moving and handling – must be willing to train
• Confident in swimming pool environment
• Good listener
• Basic computer literacy
• Flexibility with working hours
• Light meal preparation skills (toasted sandwiches, warming up food, making tea, milkshakes, etc.)
• Clean driving license
Summary terms and conditions
• The rate of pay for this position is £10 (If my wife is away for a weekend, I may need an overnight carer, in which case the rate would be £8.21 per hour – I may buzz you for support up to 2-3 times during the night).
• You won’t normally be required to work on a bank holiday – I may move your hours to be worked at a different time instead.
• You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role.
Hours and times of work: The hours required are 33 hours per week. The bulk of hours will be agreed to cover weekdays from 8am until the early afternoon; however, some late afternoons, evenings and weekend hours are also required when my wife goes out – these can be arranged to suit both employer and carer. If job is shared by two PAs, PA’s can cover each other’s holiday, so flexibility will be required.
• The annual holiday entitlement for this position will be equivalent to the work I would normally expect to be done during 5.6 consecutive weeks.
This post is subject to:
• A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
• Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
• Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.