There are a range of different settings and roles available. Take a look at the spectrum of care settings and roles available in social care.More
Between £8.30-10.00 Per Hour
Direct Payment Support Service
Closing Date: 06/05/21
To support a young man approaching adult life, providing companionship, promoting independence and developing his confidence in the wider world.
Location: Hethersett, NR9
We are looking to recruit a friendly PA to provide support and companionship to our 19-year old son. Your main duties will be accompanying our son for day-to-day tasks such as shopping, visiting new places, and going out to socialise. As he approaches adult life, our son needs someone beyond his family to encourage him to try new things and develop his confidence, independence and life skills. Other general duties will include assisting with food preparation and domestic tasks if the family are not at home, but this will not form the main part of the role.
Our son is on the autistic spectrum and can be nervous about new experiences, for example driving a new route for the first time. He is friendly and kind but lacks confidence and is happy to allow others to take control. We would like for him to have a confident and calm companion who will encourage him to try out new things and push himself out of his comfort zone. It is important that our son is encouraged to do as much as possible for himself, rather than having things done for him, for example paying the bill.
He enjoys outdoor activities such as mountain biking and roller skating, and going to theme parks, music gigs and the cinema. This post could be a rewarding experience for someone who shares similar interests and would enjoy being a companion to a young man approaching adult life.
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
- An easy-going and relaxed character with the ability to remain calm and encouraging if our son becomes worried in new situations.
- Patient and tolerant towards others.
- Desire to form a companionship and be a mentor figure.
- Experience working with, or general awareness of supporting individuals with autistic traits preferred, but not essential.
- Driving license and own vehicle with appropriate business insurance cover preferred, but not essential.
Summary terms and conditions
- The rate of pay for this position is £9.37 per hour. Overnight respite stays are paid at £114.06 per overnight stay (including 6 additional hours to cover evening and morning).
- You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role.
- Hours and times of work: 3 hours per week, or a 6-hour session once a fortnight. This role also includes 5 overnight respite stays per year when the family are away.
The post is subject to the following:
- A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
- Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
- Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.