There are a range of different settings and roles available. Take a look at the spectrum of care settings and roles available in social care.More
Direct Payment Support Service
Closing Date: 23/04/21
To support a young active lady allowing her to live in her own home and access the wider community, promoting independence and positive well-being as a live-in carer.
Location: Mattishal, NR20
You will be required to provide support, general supervision and companionship to ‘A’ within her home and while accessing the wider community. General duties will include domestic cleaning, food shopping and preparation, monitoring medication, assisting with communication and interaction, and supervising morning personal care routine. All tasks should be carried out for ‘A’ but ideally with her, encouraging her to do as much as possible and promoting her independence. ‘A’ has her own opinions, knows her own mind and should be involved in decision making, such as creating shopping lists.
‘A’ has an acquired brain injury from when she was a baby, and whilst she is physically and mentally able, she has problems with speech and executive function. This means she generally knows how to carry out a task but requires prompting to remind her when to carry it out. ‘A’ also has medication-controlled epilepsy and has been seizure free for 16 years.
‘A’ enjoys being both physically and mentally active, whether that is going out for shopping, visiting cafes and other places of interest, or playing board games and making crafts at home. It is Important ‘A’ has a companion carer to keep her safe out in the wider world and she is not just sitting at home, so having a shared interest in being active is essential.
Duties will include:
- Helping ‘A’ live independently by encouraging and prompting her to do as much as possible
- Going out regularly with her for exercise, fun activities and being part of normal community life
- Keeping her safe in her home and outside in the community, particularly with assessing dangers such as road awareness
- Keeping her mentally active at home with a range of activities to break up the day
- Taking the lead with most everyday household tasks for her but preferably with her
- Helping her communicate and interact with others
- Assisting in doing the weekly and daily household shopping
- Monitoring general health and particularly her skin, nails and dental care
- Reminding her to have drinks regularly
- Personal care generally consisting of supervising and prompting personal care and physical hygiene, although ‘A’ requires help with washing and drying her hair
- Working with her wherever possible to prepare food and help her maintain a healthy diet
- Helping with choosing weather appropriate clothes
- Supervising and prompting her medication twice daily
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
- Female carer due to the personal nature of personal care.
- Commitment to helping people with learning disabilities live a full and active life.
- General awareness of caring for people with learning disabilities and autistic traits essential, and previous experience highly desirable.
- Full UK driving license and own vehicle with appropriate business insurance cover preferred.
- Good level of English with the ability to communicate clearly as ‘A’ has difficulty following what is said to her and making herself understood.
- An easy going and fun approach with the desire to be a companion to ‘A’.
- No smoking, visitors or pets.
Summary terms and conditions
- The rate of pay for this position is £687 per week.
- You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role.
- Hours and times of work: working 1 week on, 1 week off or 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off as live in care. Please note this includes a 2-hour statutory break each day.
The post is subject to the following
- A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
- Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
- Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please request an application form by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org