There are a range of different settings and roles available. Take a look at the spectrum of care settings and roles available in social care.More
Direct Payment Support Service
Closing Date: 06/12/19
Job Purpose: You will be supporting X, a happy, smiley, friendly little boy who loves numbers, playdough, outdoor play and anything to do with food (play food, cooking, looking at recipe books etc.). X has a diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorder and learning disability, resulting in communication, sensory and personal care needs, no awareness of danger, and some challenging behaviour at times.
Location: Thorpe Hamlet
• Taking care of X in his own home and keeping him entertained, so his mum can catch up with other tasks.
• Supporting X on trips out, both longer days out to family attractions and shorter trips, such as to the shops, library or cinema. No driving licence is required, as X’s mum will accompany you and X out and about and will drive, however if you wish to drive to and from work, lots of free parking is available outside X’s home.
• Some personal care tasks such as nappy changing/toileting, putting on coat and shoes, and changing clothes when necessary.
NB – Please note that this job involves working with children or young people. In this instance, X’s mum will be the employer, and she will be on hand while you are providing support to X.
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
• Friendly, patient and understanding
• Able to work proactively and confidently with a child with autism and learning disabilities both supervised and alone.
• Experience of supporting children with autism and learning difficulties, through work or personal situations.
• Knowledge of Signalong and PECS.
Summary terms and conditions
• The rate of pay for this position is £9.50 per hour
• You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role.
• Hours and times of work: 104 flexible hours per year to be worked weekends and school holidays, between the hours of 9am-5pm in blocks of no less than 2 hours per session. Hours will be arranged by prior agreement to suit both parties. No evening working is required.
• The annual holiday entitlement for this position will be equivalent to the work I would normally expect to be done during 5.6 consecutive weeks.
This post is subject to:
• A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
• Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
• Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.